Welcome again to another episode of sermonized where I share nuggets from sermons I have heard and from notes I have scribbled in my sermon note.
It takes God wisdom not will power/determination for a marriage to work. Every marriage will face different situations, but that built on the ROCK will stand the tests. Matthew 7:24. God has His own purpose for marriage, but people go into marriage for different selfish/wrong/faulty reasons.
Here are 6 tips on HOW TO HAVE A SUCCESSFUL MARRIAGE:
- Be Adaptable: Rigid people will make a shipwreck of their marriage because change is the most common factor in marriage. So whether you are a traditionalist or modernist, you are an EXTREMIST; so learn to see yourself in the realities of your spouse. Marriage is not from any culture/tradition, but from God so the only place to get success is from God;
- Have Empathy: Put yourself in your spouse’s shoes. Be sensitive to one another’s emotion;
- Ability to Walk Through Challenges: Pro 24:10 No matter the challenges that come as a child of God, the surest weapon is God’s word;
- Ability to Give & Receive Love: This is the bedrock of marriage. You have to die to self (me, myself & I). Love is NOT sex. Sex is NOT an expression of love I Cor. 13:4-8. Love is the decisive focus of your will, thoughts, actions, etc., towards the well-being of your spouse. Forgive in advance;
- Understanding & Coping with Differences: Since the two parties who comes together in marriage have different background, world view, traditions, beliefs, doctrines, cultures, etc., there is bound to be different, but being able to cope with these differences is key;
- Emotional Stability: Learn to control ALL negative emotion before marriage. Mature spiritually.
Hope this episode has been enlightening, see you on another episode of sermonized!